Welcome Home, USS Anchorage



Essex Amphibious Ready Group underway (photo by U.S. Navy/MC2 C.B. Janik)

This December ended the 7-month Middle East deployment of the Essex Amphibious Ready Group (ARG), made up of the USS Essex (LHD2), USS Anchorage (LPD23), and the USS Rushmore (LSD 47).  These ships were the temporary home for 4500 marines and sailors and all their weapons, helicopters, and motorized vehicles.  Their mission was to be ready and available for anything, project force, but hope for peace in that troubled part of our globe.  The ARG is described as a “Swiss Army Knife” with a wide range of capabilities.


USS Anchorage LPD23

When I read my son’s email from the Anchorage, it seemed too good to be true. He knew of my love of warships and the sea; maybe there would even be an opportunity for some pelagic birding.  His ship would be completing its long deployment and off-loading the marines and their gear at Camp Pendleton. They would then take family members aboard for the last overnight leg of the voyage to the home base at San Diego.  We would be the guests of the U.S. Navy for this “Tiger Cruise” and we would be the tigers.  All we had to do was to get to the West Coast on time and climb aboard.  What an opportunity.  We decided to “just do it”.

USS Anchorage, waiting for us

USS Anchorage waiting for us several miles off shore (click on any photo to zoom)

That was easier said then done.  Nearly 100 tigers waited patiently at Camp Pendleton for the seas and surf to calm.  The ships had dodged a major coastal storm to the north and made repairs following an engine room fire on the Anchorage.  Despite it all, the ARG had arrived off Pendleton on schedule.  Now if the heavy seas would just cooperate.


Boarding the landing craft unit (LCU)



We waited and waited, but finally the word came to board the LCU.  It didn’t seem any calmer to me, but we were all excited to go.  As soon as we rounded the breakwater the waves hit us with vengeance, soaking all the people in the bow.  Soon, a few tigers were losing their breakfast off the stern rail, but we were getting closer to the Anchorage.  I could make out the well-deck, open and welcoming, and our loved-ones waving from the stern.



Safe in the well deck

As we disembarked from the landing craft we passed a long line of marines in combat gear, carrying their heavy packs, patiently waiting to board our same landing LCU to head ashore.  It gave me an opportunity to welcome them home and thank them for their service.  We tigers finally found our sponsors and loved ones on the flight deck with hugs and kisses all around.  The CO, Captain J.J. “Yank” Cummings gave us a warm welcoming speech and invited us to explore the entire ship, ask questions, and take pictures.  There was very little of the ship we did not see.

CO welcoming speech

Captain Cumming’s welcoming speech

I was assigned a small cabin with two other tigers.  Even this officer’s berth was spartan.  Our son suggested we skip trying to shower on the rocking ship.  Sleeping was difficult until I discovered the straps designed to hold you in the bunk, letting the roll of the ship rock you to sleep.

Bridge, my favorite spot onboard

The bridge, my favorite spot onboard

Oh yeah, what about the pelagic birds?  I had done my homework and reacquainted myself with what I might see off southern California’s coast this time of year, but I knew there would be no chumming from the stern of this U.S. naval vessel.  Right after early breakfast in the wardroom, I stationed myself on the lee side of the upper deck, in the shelter of the bridge and started birding.  Unseasonably cold temperatures and high winds made that a chore; the bridge watch and I were the only ones on deck.  My sightings were meagre and nothing unusual, including Western Gulls, Brandt’s and Double-crested Cormorants, and Brown Pelicans.  I think I saw some Surf Scoters also but was not sure.

Welcoming coast gull

Welcoming coastal gull

Rounding Point Loma and entering San Diego harbor on the Anchorage is an experience I will ever remember.  First of all, it is just a beautiful city and harbor with clear blue skies and water, seabirds, and pleasure boats.  The Cabrillo monument and military cemetery are high on the bluff to port and the Naval Airbase is to starboard.  As you cruise under the Coronado Bridge, you see all the other warships lined up and waiting their turn to go to sea.

USS Midway

USS Midway

Secondly, there is sight of the sailors and officers, so young and vital-looking, solemnly manning the rails in their dress uniforms, happy to be home.


Thirdly, you can’t help but have some national pride in the Navy and its dedicated sailors and officers–an impressive force for peace.

Manning the rails

Manning the rails

And lastly, finally being with my son, reunited and safe after his long service in a dangerous part of the world, was best of all.


Reunited on the flight deck

As the tugs eased the Anchorage into its slip my wife and I were high on the bridge deck looking down at the welcoming and waving families, many with signs and flowers.  There were numerous sailors who had infants waiting whom they had never seen.  They were understandably the first ones ashore.  One by one everyone disembarked into open arms.  I think we were the last to leave.




I know this is a birding and bird photography blog, so forgive me for the lack of bird photos.  There were only a few “bird moments” on the cruise, but there were many other “Kodak moments” and memories to share.  I’ll return to birding on the next post.

12 thoughts on “Welcome Home, USS Anchorage

    1. For a while there it looked like the whole trip would be cancelled. We had a small window and time off and airline tickets, but it all worked out. It was a great experience. Thanks for commenting


    1. The pictures remind me how rough the seas were that day. I’m a little surprised the Navy went for it in this age of liability concerns, etc. But I’m glad they did. I had a great picture of Dan in dress uniform and Mom, but she’d vetoed it over the windblown look.


    1. I was a little concerned about seasickness but we weathered it well. Some were not so lucky. I’m sure Michael would have enjoyed it, as there were a number of Navy vets on board. Thanks for commenting.


  1. What a great experience! Your story and photos capture the dedication of everyone in the military service and the dedication of the families as well! Welcome home to Daniel!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks for commenting, Marcia. It was fun writing the post and taking the pictures, but they really fall short in conveying the excitement, joy, pride, etc. of being there. Daniel is glad to be home again. Best to you and your family.


    1. Thanks Dorothy. Sorry to learn of your recent mishap. Think of it as a chance to do even more reading. I’m halfway through and recommend another great Naval classic, “The Sand Pebbles” by McKenna.


  2. This was a great post, even if only one gull. You really had a wonderful adventure, one that ended in great happiness seeing your son. Tell your son, I am very grateful for his service and that of all the other sailors and servicemen. We need these guys and the work they do is both hard and dangerous.

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s